When it comes to selling your home, the exterior of your home is just as important as the interior. The exterior is what any potential buyer sees first and will leave a lasting impression on your home. This first impression can make or break a sale and be a huge determining factor in your final sale price. As the premier agent for all your Penticton real estate needs, I would like to offer you these simple tips on how you can increase your home’s curb appeal.
A Fresh Coat of Paint
A fresh coat of paint is a great way to increase your home’s allure and attract a wide range of potential buyers. It can also increase your home’s value. If painting the entire exterior of your home is not in your budget, there are other smaller projects that will also boost the appeal. These include:
- Add a touch of colour to your door. A brightly coloured door is a great way to welcome prospective buyers at your next open house. Red or yellow doors seem to be very popular colour choices and will definitely give your home a new and inviting look.
- Paint accent areas such as the trim around your door and windows, also any lighting or even your mailbox.
Little details can also make a huge difference in the exterior of your home. These additions can include:
- Add shutters. Shutters make your windows look larger and will help break up an otherwise bland exterior wall. To maximize the effect of your shutters, try choosing a colour that will contrast your home’s exterior.
- Add house numbers to your door or front gate.
- Add planters or hanging baskets to intensify colour and charm to the exterior of your home.
- Replace your welcome mat with a new one to greet your next round of homebuyers.
A Spring Clean
Before putting your home on the market, be sure to give your yard and the exterior of your home a thorough cleaning.
A deep cleaning of the outside of your home needs to be more involved than just mowing your lawn, trimming the bushes and cleaning up any debris.
Instead, to properly clean your home and increase your curb appeal, make sure to:
- Rent a power washer and spray down your home’s exterior as well as your driveway, fence and any walkways. Avoid any caulking and do not spray your roof as you may damage individual shingles.
- Clean windows both inside and outside.
- Replace any broken shingles on your roof and re-caulk any areas around windows or doors.
These simple exterior tips will increase your home’s curbside appeal and attract a wider range of potential buyers. If you are interested in other ways to make your exterior more appealing or are thinking about putting your home on Penticton’s real estate market, please contact me today. I would love to help you turn that for sale sign into a sold one today. I look forward to being a part of your sales team.